May 28, 2019
Joseph Brant Hospital ‘Michael Lee-Chin and Family Patient Tower’ Achieves LEED SILVER Certification
EllisDon is proud to announce that the Joseph Brant Hospital Michael Lee-Chin & Family Patient Tower has achieved LEED Silver certification under LEED Canada for New Construction and Major Renovations.
- The Michael Lee-Chin & Family Patient Tower features several sustainability features, including:
- Low flow and flush plumbing fixtures;
- Optimized building envelope with less than 40% window to wall ratio;
- High efficiency pumps, fans, and other equipment;
- Use of LED lighting with occupancy controls;
- Condensing boilers, Heat Recovery Chillers and Ventilation energy recovery;
- Use of sustainable and low-emitting materials; and,
- A proactive education strategy.
The Michael Lee-Chin & Family Patient Tower opened to patients on August 21, 2017, with renovations that continued during operations until completion in October of 2018. The new patient tower addition is located on the same property as the existing Joseph Brant Hospital, in downtown Burlington. This 7 story 400,000 square foot addition provides much-needed expansion space, and includes the addition of 144 in patient medical / surgical beds, 24 intensive care beds, expanded diagnostic imaging services, an expanded and modernized laboratory, a modern emergency department, cafeteria, and public support areas.
EllisDon Sustainable Building Solutions self-performed the LEED consulting process, from preconstruction to certification.
More information on the certification, including the project’s scorecard, can be found on the CaGBC’s LEED project database.