The Bluewater Health Redevelopment project involved the construction of an addition to the hospital, as well as an extensive renovation of the original building, built in 1944. The new facility provides:
• an expanded emergency department;
• a surgical centre with eight new operating rooms and four new procedure rooms;
• a consolidated maternity and pediatric ward to offer labour, birthing and pediatric services on the same floor;
• an 18% increase in the number of hospital beds (totaling 337 beds);
• a multi-level bridge that connects the new building with the old, redeveloped building in addition to an atrium-style concourse between the two structures.