Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi (“CCAD”), a Mubadala Company, is a multi-specialty hospital constructed on Al Maryah Island in Abu Dhabi. The facility is specifically designed to address a range of complex critical care requirements for the inhabitants of Abu Dhabi. CCAD is modelled after its US-based namesake, and will contain centres devoted to each of the following:
• Heart and Vascular;
• Digestive Diseases;
• Eye and Respiratory; and
• Critical Care.
Other Institutes will include:
• Surgical Subspecialties;
• Medical Subspecialties;
• Emergency Medicine;
• Pathology and Laboratory Medicine; and
• Imaging and Quality and Patient Safety.
In total, more than 30 medical and surgical specialties will be represented at CCAD.
The facilities at CCAD have state-of-the-art amenities and world-class service standards. The hospital is a 364-bed facility (expandable to 490), with five clinical floors, three diagnostic and treatment levels, and 13 floors of critical and acute inpatient units.
The hospital is designed to achieve Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certification, as well as Four Pearl rating from the Abu Dhabi Urban Planning Council’s Estidama Pearl rating system.
EllisDon was contracted to provide project management services. An important element of the services provided is protection and safeguarding of the client’s reputation and commercial standing during the construction. The life-cycle stages of the Project Management Services include:
• Pre-construction, including the following:
• Establishment of project protocols, controls and systems
• Managing remaining design development and client requirements
• Selection, tendering, evaluation and recommendation of consultants (technical advisor)
• Selection, tendering, evaluation and recommendation of contractor
• Steady state construction (typically on a Design-and Build-procurement basis);
• Project closeout (comprising testing and commissioning, completion and preparation of final account); and
• Defect liability period.
CCAD decided to add an oncology centre to the campus. The CCAD Cancer Care Program is designed to provide compassion and care according to the unique needs of each patient. The new clinic will be able to accommodate a wide assortment of specialized medical services, which will enable staff to provide more efficient care to patients. The new building will have a connection to the existing CCAD buildings by way of the Diagnostics and Treatment Building.