The ICE District Block BG Podium (“Block BG”) involves the construction of a new three-storey podium designed to support a future 44-storey residential tower in the heart of the Edmonton’s Ice District. The Block BG will be home to several retail spaces and restaurants which will include a Loblaws grocery store and a flagship location for a three-level, multi-tiered Canadian Brewhouse.
Block BG will be constructed on top of an existing four-level underground parking garage. The project is a mixture of concrete (under the tower footprint) and structural construction. The project is a core-and-shell and will consist of limited interior finishes, including:
• Gypsum wallboard partitions;
• Painting; and
• Floor finishes.
The core-and-shell construction also includes nine elevators and two escalators.
The building envelope will feature:
• Aluminum composite panels;
• Terracotta clay panels;
• Corrugated metal panel glazing systems (including two folding glass walls); and
• A torch-applied modified bituminous membrane roofing system.
Once complete the Block BG and surrounding areas will be a place to live, gather and celebrate.
• The building will have a footprint that spans the length of an entire city block from 103 Ave. to 104 Ave. and the width of half a city block;
• The project consists of 8,100m3 of concrete, 40% of which will be poured in the level three transfer beams to support the future residential tower;
• Average level three beam is 2.4m x 2.4m with some beams ranging as deep as 3.5m;
• Concrete pours for level three range between 500m3 and 650m3; and
• Construction of Block BG is being coordinated with three other projects which are actively under construction: ICE District Media Towers; Stantec - Block BG Pedway; and the ICE District Public Realm - Phase2.