Jun 27, 2020
Strathmore Manor Fire
Delivery Model: Consulting Services Cost
Team/Service: IST—Insurance Building Costs Consultants
Scope: Insurance Claim Assessments—Building Repair Costs Consultants/Program Management
When residents were evacuated after a fire engulfed a wing of the multi-family residential complex Strathmore Manor, EllisDon’s team of consultants, chief estimator, and project managers were on site immediately to assist. We were able to help with the following:
- Scoping of the structural damages.
- Cost evaluations to return damaged structures to pre-loss state.
- Recommendations for code upgrade requirements.
- Project management and guidance for immediate mitigation requirements to the damaged building.
- Assessing the damage and interpreting the immediate objective requirements of the claim.
- Recommendations and problem solving the situation of the building, based on damage severity.
- A formulation for the scope of work to return each building to a pre-loss state.
- Communication with the market, contractors, and insurance adjusters on the project.
- Monitoring performance to scheduled agreements while ensuring scope objectives were completed and deadlines were met.
The project schedule was broken down by task requirements and weekly updates were communicated on the progress in order to meet the deadline. The Insurance Assessment team conducted ongoing discussions with the market, clients, and insurance companies regarding time schedules, logistical issues, and contract setbacks. All stakeholders participated as a team and were given greater responsibility to achieve the end goal for occupancy, which significantly improved the way the project was managed.
Despite some contract setbacks and supply chain challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic, the scope of repairs was completed within the budget and occupancy was granted within the agreed timelines between all stakeholders. Excellent safety practices were maintained throughout the project, with zero recorded injuries.