Jun 27, 2020
The Confederation Line, Ottawa Light Rail Transit Project (TS)
Client: City of Ottawa
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Size: 12.5 Km
Value: $1.8 billion
- 2021 Canada’s Top 100 Biggest Infrastructure Projects—ReNew Canada.
- 2013 North America’s Public-Private Partnership Deal of the Year—Project Finance Magazine.
- 2013 CCPPP National Awards for Innovation & Excellence—Infrastructure Category.
- Award of Excellence in the engineering for the Lees Ave Bridge.
- 2014 P3 Bulletin Best Rail/Transit Project in the Americas.
Rideau Transit Maintenance (RTM) is a partnership between ACS, EDFS, and SNC Lavalin. This partnership was formed to deliver comprehensive routine and lifecycle maintenance for vehicles, systems, and facilities on the Confederation Line LRT over a 30-year term. Vehicle maintenance will be done primarily at the Belfast Yard Maintenance and Storage Facility.
- Systems to receive maintenance include:
- Track—all tangent and special trackwork;
- Signals and Train Control—the Communications Based Train Control System, known as a train-protection system, as well as Automatic Train Operation;
- Communications—a wide range of assets, including Voice and Data Radio, Guideway Intrusion-Detection, Fence Intrusion Detection, CCTV, Passenger Visual Information System, Integrated Communications System, and Telephony;
- Overhead Catenary System; and
- Traction Power.
- Notable facility assets to maintain include:
- Over 47 escalators and 60 elevators;
- Tunnel ventilation system; and
- Specialized industrial equipment.
- Facility maintenance includes:
- Custodial services;
- Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing services;
- Snow removal; and
In addition, RTM will provide yard operations to facilitate the movement of trains into the maintenance shop and onto the mainline. RTM will also provide comprehensive safety, security, environmental, quality, and cybersecurity plans to ensure the safety and integrity of the Confederation Line LRT. Proper maintenance and integration of these assets will occur over a 3-hour window each day to ensure transit customers can commute with ease.